Crisp cucumbers with tangy yogurt dressing are an ideal intro to an Indian summer evening. Hearty, roasted beets give the dish a seasonal spin.
Cucumber Cups with Roasted Beets and Yogurt Dressing
1 md. red or gold beet
3 tbsp. whole milk yogurt
1 tsp. fresh, minced dill, plus dill sprigs for garnish
1 tsp. finely minced shallots
1 Armenian or English (hothouse) cucumber
Freshly ground white pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Wrap beet loosely in aluminum foil and seal tightly.
2. Bake until tender when pierced (about 1 hour).
3. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into very small, neat cubes. (You should have about ½ c.)
4. Place diced beet in a small bowl and fold in yogurt, minced dill, and shallots. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Chill well.
5. Peel cucumber and cut into ½-inch-wide slices (about 2 dozen). Use a melon baller to scoop out the center of each slice, taking care not to pierce the bottom and to leave the sides about ¼-inch thick.
6. Set cucumber cups on a serving tray and chill. Just before filling, season with salt and white pepper.
7. To serve, spoon 1 tsp. of beet mixture into each cucumber cup and garnish with small sprigs of dill. Serve immediately.
8. Enjoy with Cakebread Cellars sauvignon blanc or another young, dry white wine with good acidity.
Adapted from The Cakebread Cellars American Harvest Cookbook, available online at amazon.com, $22.
Photo: Marshall Gordon / Courtesy of Ten Speed Pass
|Fall’s harvest yields great eats. Celebrate the season with a bumper crop of recipe and entertaining ideas.|