Hank’s Hog Island-Style Barbecued Oysters
½ c. white wine
1 c. chopped shallots
½ c. chopped garlic
1 sprig of thyme
2 sm. bottles of Tabasco sauce
1½ lb. butter
12-24 freshly shucked oysters (available at Black Salt or Captain White’s)
1 lb. bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
For the sauce
1. Reduce white wine with shallots, garlic, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add Tabasco and bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in butter ½ lb. at a time (otherwise it could separate).
4. Finish with parsley to taste.
5. Cool down in an ice bath promptly, stirring once in a while.
Note: You can make the sauce days in advance.
For the oysters
1. Arrange shucked oysters on a cookie sheet and spoon 1 tbsp. of sauce on top of each.
2. Put 1 tsp. of bread crumbs on each oyster and broil until golden brown.
3. Serve hot.
Sample more seafood dishes on the recently expanded patio of Hank’s Oyster Bar and Lounge, 1624 Q Street Northwest, at 17th Street (202-462-4265 or hanksdc.com).
Photo: Whitney Johnson / Getty Images
|Ready to take on the high seas? Get recipes, gear, and tips for an oceanic gathering.|