Anyone who can make frank ’n’ beans taste as good as Chris Beerman is an MVP to us.
Here, the Citizen’s Band chef shares his recipe for a hearty white bean and chorizo dip that your Game Day guests are sure to huddle around.
Beerman’s Super Bowl White Bean Dip
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
4 c. dried baby butter beans, soaked in water overnight
4 links 4505 Meats chorizo
8 c. chicken stock or canned chicken broth (no salt added is best)
1 c. shredded Redwood Hills smoked goat’s milk cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Add oil to an ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
3. Add garlic and spices and cook on low heat 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add beans, chorizo, and broth, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and put the pan in the oven, stirring every 20 minutes or so, until beans are soft but not overdone, about an hour.
6. Return the pan to the stove and bring heat back up. Using the back of a metal spoon, mash beans slightly to create “dip” consistency. Put in a bowl, top with the cheese, and microwave until cheese is melted. Serve.
Citizen’s Band, 1198 Folsom Street, at 8th Street (415-556-4901 or citizensbandsf.com).
Photos: Courtesy of cyclonebill / Flickr; Courtesy of joshbousel / Flickr