Cinco de Mayo may not mean anything to you, culturally speaking. Socially speaking, it should. Starting tomorrow, at 1 p.m., celebrate by tipping back a Tippling Bros. cocktail at Barcito. Top it off with chef Ryan Poli’s pintxos and cha-cha-cha to the mariachi band, starting at 2 p.m.
Can’t make it? Throw a mini Mayo party at your casa.
Tippling Bros. Little Market Cocktail
2 chunks pineapple, approximately 1½-in. cubes
1½ oz. reposado tequila
1 oz. guajillo syrup (recipe below)
1 oz. lime juice
1. Muddle pineapple in cocktail shaker.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Shake over ice.
Yields four cups
4 c. simple syrup (in a pot, mix four parts sugar to four parts water; boil until sugar dissolves)
3-4 guajillo chiles
1. Warm simple syrup over medium heat.
2. Break up chiles and add to syrup.
3. Simmer 10 minutes, taste for heat, and let simmer for another 10 minutes if needed.
4. When desired heat level is achieved, strain and refrigerate.
Barcito at Tavernita, 151 West Erie Street, at LaSalle Boulevard (312-274-1111 or standandeat.com).
Photo: Courtesy of Barcito
|It’s T minus 24 hours ’til tequila o’clock. Click through for a host of artisanal liquors, clever invites, and party goods to celebrate the holiday in style.|