When the flavor of the month is baked chicken, you know it’s time to spice things up. For help, we turned to Catherine McCord of Weelicious, who has perfected the fast, easy, and fresh family-friendly meal.
While testing recipes for her upcoming book of tips, tricks, and recipes — with pictures (oh, so that’s what it’s supposed to look like!) — she happened upon this chicken tortilla soup with cumin and cilantro.
Not sure your kids will bite? Read on.
“The best way to get kids to try new foods is by getting them involved in the process. Whether you take them to your local farmers market to try the fruits and veggies in season, go to the grocery to pick out a specific food that you’ll make together, or just give your child a fun, age-appropriate activity in the kitchen — like crushing tortilla chips. That was my son’s favorite part!”
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves four to six
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 tsp. salt
1 green or red bell pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 32-oz. box chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1½ c. frozen corn, defrosted
1 15-oz. can tomatoes, diced
1 lb. chicken breast, boneless and skinless
1 lime, juiced
Tortilla chips, crushed
Toppings: shredded Monterey Jack, Mexican-cheese blend, avocado, sour cream, cilantro
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and salt for 3 minutes.
2. Add the bell peppers, garlic clove, and cumin; saute an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add the remaining ingredients (except the lime juice) and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer.
4. After 10 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken breasts), remove the chicken from the pot and shred using a fork. Place back into the pot with the lime juice, and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is heated through.
5. Remove bay leaf, pour soup into bowls, and top with tortilla chips for everyone to stir in on their own. Serve with desired toppings on the side.
Find more tasty-in-a-pinch recipes online at weelicious.com.
Giveaway! We’re prepping for Presidents Day by handing out twenty copies of John Bemelmans Marciano’s Madeline at the White House. Find out how one can be yours on Facebook.
25% off Babysusu Boys Clothing
Finding dapper clothes for your little man can leave you out in the cold. We bet you’ll warm up to the idea of an extra 25% off Babysusu’s cashmere and cotton hoodies, crews, and cardis, long-sleeve henleys, and cozy drawstring pants. Enter code dailycandy at checkout; good thru Feb. 21.
Photos: Courtesy of Weelicious; Courtesy of Babysusu