The Boilermaker draws you in with classic American cocktails like Sazeracs and cobblers. But its zeppoles deserve equal billing. The fried goodness arrives at your table in a brown paper bag and sprinkled with a blizzard’s worth of powdered sugar.
Making them at home? So worth the risk of a little grease fire.
Makes four or five pieces
¼ oz. active dry yeast
1 c. warm water
½ c. flour
¼ tsp. salt
1. Dissolve yeast in ½ c. of water for about 10 minutes.
2. When bubbles start to appear, add remaining water.
3. Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl and mix on lowest speed. Once combined, turn mixer to medium speed.
4. Mix for about 5 minutes.
5. Turn into greased bowl and cover loosely with a towel. Let stand 2 hours at room temperature.
6. Pull off small pieces of dough and fry at 375° for 3½ minutes.
7. Top with powdered sugar.
Too lazy to break out the skillet? Get a piping-hot order at The Boilermaker, 216 South Eleventh Street (215-922-3427).
Photo: Susan Banchek for DailyCandy