Fire-Roasted Tomato Bisque
Serves six to eight
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 md. onion, diced (about 1 c.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 carrots, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
1-2 celery stalks, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
28-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 chipotle pepper, finely minced, in 1 tbsp. adobo sauce
4 c. chicken stock
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 c. nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a medium-size stockpot. Add onion and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
4. Add the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste, and bring back to a boil.
5. Cover partially, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).
6. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
7. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
8. Whisk in the Greek yogurt until fully incorporated, and warm until the soup is heated thoroughly but not simmering.