Thai Curry Tomato Soup
Serves six to eight
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 md. onion, diced (about 1 c.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 carrots, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
1-2 celery stalks, thinly sliced (about ½ c.)
28-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
½ tsp. ground cumin
2 c. chicken stock
14-oz. can light coconut milk
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a medium-size stockpot. Add onion and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
4. Add curry paste, cumin, and chicken stock. Cover partially and reduce heat to medium-low.
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
6. Add coconut milk and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.