Your kiddo can count, sing, and tattletale in Spanish. Now school her in Latin flavor with this easy recipe from chef Michelle Bernstein of Sra. Martinez restaurant.
Chicken and Salsa Tamales
½ rotisserie or roasted chicken (skin removed, meat shredded)
1 c. your favorite salsa
2½ c. chicken stock or water
2½ c. masa harina
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
1½ c. shredded mozzarella
1 c. corn kernels
16 corn husks, soaked in water
¼ cup of queso fresco
1. Mix together the shredded chicken and salsa.
2. Heat chicken stock or water in a pot and add the masa harina. Season with salt and pepper, then blend in mozzarella and corn.
3. Dry the corn husks with a paper towel. Spoon 2 tbsp. of the masa harina mixture into the center of each husk.
4. Top with 2 tbsp. of the chicken mixture, then 2 more tbsp. of the masa harina mixture. Flatten the husks slightly with the back of a spoon.
5. Fold the husks over, enclosing fillings completely. Wrap each one individually in aluminum foil.
6. Put them in a steamer or basket held over boiling water. Steam for 30 minutes.
7. Unwrap, crumble queso fresco over the top of the tamales, and serve.
Don’t want to cook? Try the real deal at Sra. Martinez, 4000 Northeast 2nd Avenue (305-573-5474).
What: New and existing clients nab 30 percent off private sessions in a baby- and child-friendly environment.
Why: No excuses, mamacitas.
When: Offer good thru Nov. 30. Sessions by appointment.
Where: 2104 NE 123rd St., Ste. 105, North Miami (305-895-0950).
What: Use nontoxic paints to go to town on a white ceramic serving plate. They fire and glaze it; you give it.
Why: Help yourself to no painting fees thru Nov. 30.
When: Mon.-Sat., 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sun., noon-9 p.m.
Where: Color Me Mine, 19575 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura (305-931-4470).
Sleepless Night’s Children’s Activities
What: Revel in free performances by the Spanglish Wrangler, Pablo Cano marionettes, and the Miracle Theater’s Musical Miracles, and whiz down the Titanic slide.
Why: You snooze, you lose.
When: Sat., 6-11 p.m.
Where: North Shore Park Youth Center, 501 72nd St., Miami Beach (305-861-3616).
Photo: Michelle Bernstein