Lani Kai Pyrenees Punch
Serves four to six
¾ c. superfine sugar
6 oz. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
15 oz. cognac
10 oz. aged dry rum (Reiner suggests Appleton Estate V/X)
11 oz. medium-dry sack sherry
24 oz. water
1 lg. block of ice (freeze a 1-qt. container of water)
2 sticks fresh nutmeg
1. Remove peels from 3 lemons and muddle them with the sugar. Let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Stir in lemon juice, cognac, rum, sherry, and water until sugar is dissolved.
3. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Pour into large punch bowl over block of ice.
5. Grate nutmeg into punch and garnish with lemon wheels.
Lani Kai, 525 Broome Street, between Thompson and Sullivan Streets (646-596-8778 or lanikainy.com).
Photo: Julie Reiner / Courtesy of Lani Kai