One cannot live on caramels and toffee, petits fours and coffee crunch cake, nor citrus bark and seasonal preserves alone. Even if you’re confection queen Valerie Gordon, who stuffs her winter larder with obscene amounts of cheese, charcuterie, fresh bread, truffles, and — whenever possible — caviar. Here’s her favorite late-morning holiday meal, which, in her own words, is “perfect as a prelude to a feast or as an epilogue the day after.”
Creme Fraiche Eggs with Caviar
Serves one to two people
2 tsp. butter
2 tbsp. creme fraiche
Thick slice of toast
1 tsp.-1 tbsp. caviar to taste
1 tsp. chopped chives
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a skillet over a low flame. Add butter.
2. As butter is melting, mix eggs and 1 tbsp. creme fraiche in a small bowl.
3. Pour egg mixture into the pan and stir slowly with a spoon or spatula.
4. While the eggs cook, toast a large slab of generously buttered bread.
5. Cook eggs until they are cloud-like and glistening. Move eggs to a plate, sprinkle with chives, and top with the remaining creme fraiche and caviar. Salt and pepper to taste.
Valerie Confections, 3360 West First Street, between Commonwealth and Virgil Avenues, Silver Lake (213-739-8149 or valerieconfections.com).
Photo: fpaulus / Flickr
|Fill your bowl full of jelly and look cute doing it with a pair of stylish fat pants (elastic waist included). Then check out more cold-weather fashion, makeup tips, and festive hairstyles on our holiday site.|
|Up to 60% off Eugenia Kim and Habitual|
Eugenia Kim’s cloches, winter hats, and Swirl exclusives work perfectly atop Habitual’s tailored denim. Take up to 60% off it all today on Swirl.