You’ve been a ladle in waiting for far too long. So while chefs Andre Guerrero (Max, The Oinkster, BoHo) and Gary Menes (last seen at Palate) were busy devising their always-changing green-market-minded menu for Marché, their recently opened low-key French restaurant in the Valley, we nabbed this smashing tomato soup recipe. It will bowl you over.
5 ripe heirloom tomatoes, washed and diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled
4 shallots, sliced
10 basil leaves
4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp. fennel seeds
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Add ingredients to a large roasting pan in a single layer, cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil, roast for 1 hour, remove, and let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Blend in blender till smooth. Serve immediately or get fancy with a garnish.
1 pt. cherry tomatoes
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
Freshly ground black pepper
10 basil leaves
4 oz. burrata cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Mix cherry tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread tomatoes in roasting pan; bake for about 5 minutes to blister.
2. Line plate with plastic wrap, place basil leaves on top, and brush both sides with extra-virgin olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing tightly to eliminate air. Microwave for 2.5 minutes to crisp.
3. Sprinkle burrata with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. In each bowl, place 1 tbsp. of burrata, an even amount of cherry tomatoes and basil leaves, add soup, and serve.
Then Marché on back for more.
Marché, 13355 Ventura Boulevard, between Dixie Canyon and Fulton Avenues, Sherman Oaks (818-784-2915).
Photo: Fred Guerrero / Courtesy of Marché