Too lumpy, too sloppy, too sweet? Sure, the three little bears could teach you a thing or two about making the perfect bowl of porridge. But we think Michelin-starred chef (and dad of three) Marcus Wareing might have a better take on the breakfast classic.
Porridge with Maple Bananas and Greek Yoghurt
50 g jumbo rolled oats
50 g porridge oats
½ tsp. table salt
ı tsp. ground cinnamon
250 ml semiskimmed or whole milk
250 ml water
ı tbsp. unsalted butter
2 very ripe bananas, each cut into 6 slices
8 tbsp. maple syrup
300 g thick Greek yoghurt, to serve
1. Place the oats, salt, cinnamon, milk and water in a medium-size saucepan over low to moderate heat. Stir regularly for 5 to ı0 minutes.
2. Heat the butter in a medium-size frying pan over high heat, add the banana slices and brown them slightly on each side.
3. Add maple syrup, then remove from heat.
4. When the oats are cooked and have soaked up most of the liquid, divide the porridge between four serving bowls.
5. Place three slices of banana and a large dollop of Greek yogurt on each.
6. Serve immediately.
Marcus Wareing’s new family-friendly cookbook, Nutmeg and Custard, is available online at amazon.co.uk or at your local bookstore.
Natural History Museum Ice Rink
What: The rink opens for the season with a special space set aside for skating novices.
Why: Ice, ice baby.
When: Daily from Thurs.
Where: Natural History Museum, Cromwell Rd., SW7 5BD (08448 471576).
What: A new take on the classic children’s tale for the over 3s.
Why: Tell me sweet little lies.
When: Sat. & Sun., 2 & 4 p.m.
Where: The Colour House Children’s Theatre, Merton Abbey Mills, Watermill Way, SW19 2RD (020 8542 5511).
Alexandra Palace Fireworks
What: North London’s much-loved spectacular with bands, fun fairs and seasonal snacks.
Why: You’re a little firecracker.
When: Sat., 4:30-11 p.m.
Where: Alexandra Palace, Alexandra Palace Way, N22 7AY (020 8365 4300).
Photo: Noel Murphy