Sophie Conran devised this special Halloween Pie recipe for DailyCandy readers. It’s scarily easy to make and perfect for spooky suppers.
Ingredients (serves six)
800g (1 lb. 12 oz.) pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
½ tsp. dried red chilli flakes
2 tsp. cumin seeds
3 tbsp. olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
200g (7 oz.) firm goat’s cheese, crumbled
2 tsp. fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1 handful walnut halves
1 handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
150g (5 oz.) filo pastry
50g (2 oz.) butter, melted, or 3 tbsp. olive oil, for brushing the pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
2. Place pumpkin pieces on nonstick baking tray.
3. Sprinkle with chilli flakes, cumin seeds; drizzle with olive oil and coat well. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook in preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and starting to brown. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
5. Once it’s cooled, place pumpkin in a bowl. Stir through goat’s cheese, sage, walnuts and parsley. Spoon mixture into a pie dish and set aside.
6. Brush both sheets of filo with melted butter or olive oil. Cover the top of the pie dish by lifting up each piece of filo in the centre with your thumb and index finger and placing it on top of the filling, making little crumpled hills.
7. Bake 20 minutes, until top is golden and centre piping hot.
For more of Sophie’s recipes, go to sophieconran.com. Sophie Conran’s Pies available online at amazon.co.uk or your local bookstore. Sophie’s new chocolates for Melt are available online at meltchocolates.com.