For one glorious day your gravy boat runneth over — and now it’s empty. No one wants to see your naked turkey breast. Dress up slices with a warm, hearty sauce from the pages of Bluestem, the Cookbook, a new collection of recipes from Kansas City-based chefs Colby and Megan Garrelts.
Corn Bread Sauce
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 shallots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
¾ c. whiskey
1 pan of corn bread, crumbled
3⅓ c. chicken stock
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
½ tsp. salt
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the shallots and garlic, allowing them to sweat for 1 minute.
3. Deglaze the pan with the whiskey, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer for a couple of minutes, just to soften the onions.
4. Transfer the mixture to a blender and add the corn bread, stock, mustard, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high speed until smooth.
5. To serve, heat slices of turkey, then pour hot corn bread sauce over them.
Photo: Bonjwing Lee / Courtesy of Andrews McMeel Publishing