Kabocha Squash Salad
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. plus a pinch salt
¼ kabocha squash, unpeeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 1½ c.)
1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
4 oz. baby arugula, washed and patted dry
¼ c. pumpkin seeds, roasted and shelled
1 tsp. olive oil
6 scallions, thinly sliced
¼ c. sherry vinaigrette (recipe below)
1. Fill a medium-size saucepan with 3 c. water and bring to a boil. Stir in sugar and salt.
2. Add squash and cook until tender but not falling apart, about 5 minutes. Strain and refrigerate to cool completely.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled squash, romaine, arugula, seeds, oil, and scallions. Dress with vinaigrette and toss gently so as not to break up squash.
Makes two cups
½ c. sherry vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 c. olive oil
1. In a blender, combine vinegar, mustard, and salt.
2. Blend on low speed while slowly drizzling in oil.
To see how chef Daniel Holzman makes this recipe, watch our video. And if you’re hungry for more of The Meatball Shop’s action, see how to make Gobble Gobble turkey balls, ginger cookies, and a modernized hot toddy. Or just buy the cookbook, $28.