This past weekend we suffered a losing streak: a sunburned, red strip (in our case, handprint) of skin the SPF just didn’t reach. To help, we asked facialist and skin guru Tracie Martyn for a few summer tips.
1. For immediate sunburn relief, nothing beats fresh aloe leaf. Carefully cut out gel from inside and apply directly to skin. If you buy packaged aloe vera gel, avoid ones that contain alcohol and other irritating chemicals. Another good alternative is calendula gel.
2. To aid healing, consider a supplement containing zinc and make sure you have adequate protein in your diet. And drink up (water, that is). Sunburn can cause dehydration.
3. Prevent a repeat burn with zinc oxide-based sunblock that’s effective against UVA and UVB. Martyn recommends Fallene Cotz.
4. As for your diet, think purple, red, and blue. Antioxidant-packed blueberries and raspberries, as well as supplements like bilberry, lycopene, and red grape-seed extract, help shield skin cells from free radicals produced by damaging UV light.
5. Martyn’s firming serum contains some of the topical antioxidants mentioned above and can be used in conjunction with sunscreen. It will lift more than just your spirits.
For more info, go to traciemartyn.com.
Photo: Dougal Waters / Getty Images