Winter chills cannot be avoided.
They can, however, be abated. Follow these steps to ensure you are well padded for tundra-like temps.
1. Book it to Katherine-Anne Confections, now open in Logan Square.
2. Sit at a reclaimed wood table, order a pot of French press Ipsento coffee, and ogle vintage mismatched china.
3. Start with just-launched truffles: pineapple upside-down cake, goat cheese walnut, or Badass Bacon Bourbon (a special collaboration from City Provisions’s Cleetus Friedman). Stash merlot pecan and salt-and-pepper hazelnut caramels for safekeeping.
4. Cleanse the palate with a savory croissant from Beurrage.
5. Compare drinking chocolates (Mexican, salted caramel, hazelnut) to liquid ganache. Dunk mallows (Earl Grey, coffee) and — for the most indulgent among you — truffles. (We’re partial to cherry amaretto melted in light cocoa.)
6. Watch confectioners work in the open kitchen while you digest.
7. Return tomorrow.
You’ve got nothing to lose.
Katherine-Anne Confections, 2745 West Armitage Avenue, at Fairfield Avenue (773-245-1630 or katherine-anne.com).
Photo: Courtesy of Katherine-Anne Confections