Longman & Eagle’s Thanksgiving menu is the stuff food fantasies are made of. So we asked chef Jared Wentworth what we could do with our leftovers. He concocted a recipe so tempting that we’re considering starving on Turkey Day itself in order to save room for the ultimate leftover feast.
Fried Turkey with Stuffing Waffles, Sweet Potato Hash, Maple Foam, and Cranberry Glaze
For the fried turkey
1 pt. buttermilk
2 c. seasoned all-purpose flour
4 thick slices of cooked, skin-on turkey
1. Set up a dredging station by pouring buttermilk in a bowl and flour in a shallow dish.
2. Dip turkey in the buttermilk, then dredge with flour. Repeat.
2. Fry turkey slices in 350º oil until golden brown.
For stuffing waffles
1 c. leftover stuffing
2 c. all-purpose flour
1¾ c. milk
½ c. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1. Heat waffle iron.
2. Beat eggs until fluffy, then add all ingredients until mixture is smooth.
3. Cook waffles until golden brown.
For the sweet potato hash
2 tbsp. butter
2 c. sweet potatoes, diced
1 c. shallots, chopped and roasted
1 tbsp. Banyuls red wine vinegar
1. Melt butter in a saute pan. Add sweet potatoes, cooking on high heat until tender and caramelized.
2. Add shallots, and deglaze the pan with Banyuls vinegar.
For bourbon and orange cranberry glaze (optional)
1 package fresh cranberries
2 c. orange juice
1 c. bourbon
1 c. brown sugar
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepot.
2. Cook until thick and reduced by three-fourths (about 20 minutes).
For maple foam (optional)
2 sheets gelatin
1 c. amber maple syrup
1 whipped cream dispenser
2 N2O chargers
1. Soak gelatin sheets in cold water.
2. Warm maple syrup to 140°.
3. Squeeze water from gelatin and stir into maple syrup.
4. Chill mixture, then pour into whipped cream dispenser. Add two chargers to the dispenser and reserve.
1. Place two waffles on each plate. Top with sweet potato hash and fried turkey.
2. Top with maple foam (or drizzle with maple syrup).
3. Add a dollop of cranberry glaze (or leftover cranberry sauce) on the side.
Longman & Eagle, 2657 North Kedzie Avenue, at Schubert Avenue (773-276-7110 or longmanandeagle.com).
Photo: Janelle Jones / DailyCandy