We loves us a makeover.
Our latest Cinderella favorite is restaurant Ginger Park in Banq’s old spot. It has a fresh look and an innovative menu from new chef Patricia Yeo, who gave us her update on hearty fall soup.
Laotian Sweet Potato and Kabocha Squash Soup
1 small kabocha squash
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 stalk lemongrass
1 1-inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
Zest of one lime
2 cans coconut milk
Pinch of salt
Dash of brown sugar
Squeeze of lime
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Bake squash for 30 minutes, then (carefully) peel and seed.
3. Put squash, potatoes, onion, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, lime zest, and coconut milk into a pot on the stove.
4. Add enough water to cover everything.
5. Simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
6. Dump mix into a blender (in batches if necessary) and puree.
7. Season with salt, brown sugar, and lime juice.
8. Serve with warm, crusty bread, especially on cold and nasty nights.
If your idea of home cookin’ means getting out of the house, head to Ginger Park, 1375 Washington Street, South End (617-451-0077).
Photo: Lauren Jong / Flickr