Though we hope you’re checking showtimes to see the man in the cowboy hat in Killer Joe, we understand the urge to want to spend time with Batman before he hangs up the suit for good. It was seven years ago that Christopher Nolan’s superhero saga began its flight. Herewith, ten things we’ll miss once the credits roll.
1. The growling. Something happens to Christian Bale’s voice when he slips on that suit.
2. The IMAX. If ever there were a film worthy of Image Maximum, it’s one showcasing Wally Pfister’s sweeping bat’s-eye view camera shots.
3. The score. You know the feeling you get when you hear Hans Zimmer’s ticking notes.
4. The Batportation. We get the feeling Nolan’s a kid in a candy store when it comes to his visionary reinventions of Batman’s rides (see: the batmobile, batcycle, and now batplane).
5. The Rachels. Too bad she burned up in that fire. We’d have liked to have seen which thin brunette they’d have chosen this time.
6. The speculation. Who’s Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character? Why is Tom Hardy wearing that thing on his face? This plot was more tight lipped than a monk playing the quiet game.
7. The grandeur. Indie films rock, but sometimes it’s nice to sit back and think, Man, they dropped a huge wad on this.
8. The ladies. We hear Keira Knightley, Jessica Biel, Kate Mara, and Charlotte Riley (plus tons more) all auditioned for the role of Selina Kyle and lost to Anne Hathaway.
9. The boys. Sifting through leading men such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Gosling, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt to build a cast would be a tough job. We’d be happy to do it.
10. The costumes. Humans as animals never gets old.
Photo: Courtesy of Warner Bros.