You’ve already had Tyler Florence in your living room (on TV, people) and on a plane (thank heavens Sprout organic baby food comes in pouches).
Now the gorgeous chef is turning up the heat in your kitchen with a recipe that uses just one pan. Swoon.
Serves four adults or eight kids
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. lean ground grass-fed beef
1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
4 baby carrots, scrubbed
1 sm. yellow onion, cut into wedges
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 c. organic chicken stock
½ c. part-skim ricotta cheese
3 oz. fresh spinach leaves, stems removed and coarsely chopped
4 lasagna noodles, broken into 1½-inch pieces
4 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add beef and cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spatula, until browned, 5-7 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic in a food processor and chop until coarsely ground but not completely smooth.
4. When meat is browned, pour off accumulated fat. Add tomato mixture, stock, ricotta, and spinach; combine thoroughly.
5. Bury noodles in sauce and sprinkle mozzarella evenly over all.
6. Bake lasagna uncovered until cheese is melted and bubbling, 10-15 minutes.
7. Remove pan from oven and let stand uncovered for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Find more family-friendly meal ideas in Tyler Florence’s Start Fresh cookbook, available online at amazon.com, $12.
|You made that? Check out kitchen aids that make mixing and mashing a piece of cake.|
Neighborhood Toy Store Day
What: Henry Bear’s Park celebrates with free crafts and demos all day.
Why: Mark off a few things on his holiday wish list while there.
When: Sat., 10 a.m., 1 & 3 p.m.
Where: 19 Harvard St., Brookline (617-264-2422); 685 Mass Ave., Arlington (781-646-9400); Porter Square Shopping Center, 17 White St., Cambridge (617-547-8424). Free.
What: Order burgers, fries, shakes, and hot dogs at the Wahlberg brothers’ new retro-style restaurant.
Why: Liquor-spiked frappes have your name written all over them.
When: Daily, 11 a.m.-1 a.m.
Where: The Launch at Hingham Shipyard, 19 Shipyard Dr., Hingham (781-749-2110).
Blue Discoveries Family Day
What: Learn about the aquatic creatures through stories and hands-on activities.
Why: Your mini Cousteau digs the week’s turtle theme.
When: Sun., 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Where: New England Aquarium, Central Wharf (617-973-5206). Adults and children 12 and up, $23; children under 12, $16; under 3, free.
Photo: John Lee / Courtesy of Rodale Books